+32 477 06 52 76
Blog · Back
Does Your Product Need an Authorised Representative?
VAT Ai Team

As an e-commerce seller, entering major economic markets like the European Union, United Kingdom and United States can open up immense growth opportunities. However, navigating the regulatory landscape in these regions can be complex and overwhelming, which requires many product types to have a designated local Authorised Representative. But Knowing if your specific product situation mandates an Authorised Rep can be tricky. In this blog post, we will help you to understand when you need an Authorised representative for your product.

What is an Authorised Representative?

An Authorised Representative (AR) or Responsible Person is an entity located in the market (EU, UK, US) that acts as the local representative for the manufacturer regarding regulated product categories. The main role is serving as the primary regulatory correspondent for:

  • Registering/notifying products with authorities
  • Maintaining technical documentation and compliance records
  • Coordinating product recalls, safety corrections and regulatory inquiries

Benefits of Working with an Authorised Rep

While it represents an extra business obligation, properly utilizing an Authorised Representative service can provide significant advantages:

  • Staying compliant with all applicable EU/UK/US regulations
  • Ability to legally distribute products through proper channels
  • Access to expert regulatory guidance
  • Handling complex documentation requirements
  • Rapid response to product issues and recalls

Who Needs an Authorised Representative?

According to EU, UK and US regulations, companies established outside of those respective markets must designate an Authorised Rep if introducing products in regulated categories such as:

  • Medical devices
  • In-vitro diagnostic devices
  • Machinery and industrial equipment
  • Personal protective equipment (PPE)
  • Radio/wireless transmitters
  • Cosmetics
  • Toys
  • Chemicals/hazardous substances
  • Measuring instruments
  • Pressure equipment
  • Pyrotechnics

The requirement applies equally whether the manufacturer is selling directly to consumers or supplying products through distribution channels in the market.

To help determine the main scenarios requiring an Authorised Rep, here's a simple guide for you:

It's important to note that many other product categories fall within the scope of CE marking and may require authorised representatives in the EU and UK. You can find a comprehensive list of product groups on the official EU website: https://single-market-economy.ec.europa.eu/single-market/ce-marking/manufacturers_en Keep in mind that some hazardous products, liquids, and maternal and infant products may have additional requirements or restrictions.

At VAT Ai, we provide comprehensive Authorised Rep and Responsible Person services tailored specifically to the needs of e-commerce businesses like yours. Our cost-effective solutions allow you to compliantly sell your products across EU, UK and US markets. If you're unsure whether your product requires an Authorised Representative, contact VAT Ai today and schedule a free consultation to learn more.

Follow VAT Ai on Social Media

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VATAiofficial/

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/vatai/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/VATAi_Official

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@VATAi_Official